Re: [Vic] Tram & Pedestrian Accident Today

John Dennis wrote:

> One other interesting point, since an aus.rail-er currently resident
> in NZ is reading.  When we moved to Auckland in 1974, the road rules
> required drivers turning right from main roads in the country to pull
> over to the left, and turn when clear.  Much like a hook turn - and
> when you consider the ramifications of being confronted by a
> stationary car in the middle of the road waiting to turn right, not
> such a silly idea.

While this is allegedly still the law, most such intersections on main
NZ country roads now have right-turning lanes in the middle of the
roads. The traffic is so heavy nowadays, it could be suicidal trying to
make a right turn from the road shoulder.

>  Of course, the same NZ road rules back then stated
> that when two drivers are turning right at an intersection, the "rules
> of courtesy apply".

The "courtesy rule" was abolished in the late 1970s. New Zealand drivers
are anything but courteous and this rule degenerated into a "might is
right" standoff which caused a lot of crashes.

It was replaced with a weird rule which has not helped matters. You must
give way to the right at an intersection without lights or stop of
give-way signs (there are very few of them). Cars turning LEFT must now
give way to cars turning RIGHT (the reverse of what is the case
everywhere else and what the law here used to be).

What invariably happens is that left-turning cars refuse to indicate a
turn (especially 4WD ones) and refuse to give way, while right-turning
cars (especially 4WD ones) aggressively force their right-of-way even
when traffic conditions make it dangerous for them to turn (heavy
oncoming traffic). Many years of observation have taught me that the
drivers who will never obey the give-way law are the most aggressive in
demanding others give way to them (you get to see the same people every
day on the roads round here).

On the freeways here, hardly anyone indicates a lane-change, because if
they do, all the other cars speed up to stop them changing lanes. This
means most people change lanes dangerous without warning. There are lots
and lots of crashes on the freeways here because of this.

Every time I make a visit "home" to Melbourne it astounds me to see the
courteous driving. It astounds me even more to see drivers automatically
stop to let pedestrians cross a crossing. Here, a pedestrian crossing is
somewhere that pedestrians can cross if there is no traffic or if cars
actually stop (which they are not required to do unless a pedestrian is
actually on the crossing, meaning one usually has to wait for a break in
the traffic to cross, as few motorists will stop to let you on to the
crossing). In Auckland, so many pedestrians have been run down on
crossings in recent years that the council has been building islands in
the middle of the roads (like tram safety zones) for pedestrians to take
shelter in while waiting for a break in the traffic to complete the
suicidal run to the other side.

Don't even mention red lights here -- they seem to be optional, again
especially for the 4WDs that are taking over the roads here.

When I drive, I just like to piss the roadhogs off by stopping to let
pedestrians cross on a crossing, stopping to let buses out of stops and
stopping when the light ahead goes amber or red (which can be dangerous
as many drivers speed up when the light goes amber, but so far I haven't
been rear-ended). And hey when a car on the freeway does signal a lane
change I let them in, in the hope they might do the same for someone
else one day.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand