> >From: "Jack" <bd107@tsn.cc>
> >Subject: Re: new XPT cars order
> >Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:21:29 +1100
>
> >Hi Dave
>

> >Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
> >83cqie$5br$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:83cqie$5br$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> >> Rob Kearey wrote in message <3859E9C0.CA8F1906@mailbox.uq.edu.au>..

(snip)

> Are we talking here about replacement engines of the same HP or bigger
more
> powerful engines,so that single XP + cars consists will become viable?

They are 3000 hp  Paxmans, but will be derated to 2400 hp... The traction
motors will remain the same.... the cars will be fully rewired some of the
wiring in some of the XP's is cactus, particularly in the last 4 of them...
when they return to service we will have a full 2000 hp available for
traction on the engine on supply instead of the current 14 or 1600.... the
electronic governor on the engines should make weak engines a thing of the
past... An electronic Governor was trailed on 2014 for a number of years and
never was that engine weak.. when that governor finally died a standard
governor was put on as it's replacement and U guessed it, it became weak
like the others... and NO there are no plans to run single XP's on the large
sets but you will probably see them on the Griffith and Broken Hill and
maybe on the Dubbo during the quiet times with 4 cars...

--
Cheers
Jack

Queensland beautiful one day perfect