Re: Safeworking Rules.

> Yes, the above is a very good set of procedures to follow.
> Its very specific about what every employee has to do and does not
> contain subjective phrases like proceed at extreme caution.
> What does it say about the circumstance where the signaller is unable to
> withdraw a staff from the instrument,when he beleives he should be able to
do
> so.
> Is there are procedure that allows the signaller to instruct the driver of
the
> train to enter the section ahead without the staff,(I betcha no way.)

Wrong Maurie!!!!

In Victoria there has always been rules to cover Lost Staffs or Staff
Instrument Failures. Ie: Signalman unable to obtain an Electric Staff.

In the past it was done by suspending the system and issueing a "Proceed
Order" for the Section, in the New Rules its the Issueing of a "Train
Authority" for the Section to replace the Staff system.

In AN they suspended Electric Staff Working and ran trains on Train Orders.

In NSW, as someone mentioned, its probably done with SAO's.

So you see Railways have always found ways to keep trains moving during
system failures.

> The interesting thing about ES working and it also applies to OTS working
is
> that there is a well defined dividing line between what we might call the
> safeworking part of the scheme and the train control aspect.
> A train can only proceed if two conditions are met and the two conditions
are
> totally not related to each other,ie the possession of the staff by the
driver
> is required and the concurrance of the Train Controller via the signaller
is
> required.
> CTC and ATC systems still preserve the distinction , although it may be
that
> the Train Controller also now becomes the signaller,but the two conditions
> still exist , ie a Train Controller cant let a train enter a single line
> section unless the interlocking will let him.

In ATC & CTC, when there is a failure, the Train Controller issues a System
Caution Order for the Defective Signal (Usually written out by the Driver)
(Rule 1 Section 3, in Victoria).

If you really want a system that is unsafe look at "Double Line Block" with
non track circiuting of Starting Signals, that was dangerous!!!!

Bob.