Re: Safeworking Rules.

Maurie Daly wrote:

> No I dont want them all , but a sample might be useful.
> For example are they worded in vague subjective terminology that means
> differant things to differant people,or is there a list of defined procedures
> hung un the wall of the signal box  which says something like
>
> Before a proceed order may be issued to a driver to pass signal XXX at stop
> the following procedures MUST be followed.
>
> 1/ If it is beleived that signal XXX has failed , a qualified fitter MUST
> examine the signal, interlocking equipment, motor points if any and
> provide a written signed report confirming that the signal has failed.
>
> You get the idea.
>
> MD

Ok, the safe working books tell each employee what to do. Each employee
is supposed to know what the other is supposed to do.

The following is from SWU540 electric staff sections to pass a starting
signal at stop:

Signaller:		1 Ensure the driver has the token for the section.

			2 When contacted by the handsignaller advise the 				handsignaler why
the signal is at stop.

			3 When it is safe for the train to proceed authorise
			the handsignaller to display a green handsignal to
			the driver as the authority to pass the signal at stop
			and proceed thorugh the section.

Handsignaller:		1 Display a red handsignal to any train approaching
			the signal until instructed otherwise by the signaller.

			2 When a train arives at the signal, advise the driver
			why the signal is at stop.

			3 When authorised by the signaller, display a green
			handsignal to the driver as the authority to pass the
			signal at stop and to proceed through the section.

Driver			1 Stop at the signal.

			2 Find out from the signaller/ hand signaller why 			the signal is at
stop.

			3 Ensure you have the token for the section.

			4 When you have been authorised to pass the signal
			at stop, proceed through the section.

Any problems with the above can be directed to the manager of safe
working standards because this is how it is worded in the good book.

Hope this helps

rgds