Re: R766 R711 Ballarat Tour, Your Questions Answered

Steve Dalton wrote:

> Beggars cant be chooses with the Parallel run, They were nearly not going to
> let us do it,  After I spent long hours drawing up the timetable, It was
> tough to do the Parallel run due to National Express service's.  however it
> was done, and it was great.  I believe it is the first time that had been
> done up Warrenheip.

I thought it was a good parallel run, but you have to admit that it was a bit
close. It was the same problem with the Y112 and D3 639 parallel run last year.
When there is a parallel run with a standard gauge train there is a lot more
room between the two trains.

> There is no need to say R.I.P. to R766 she we will back, and the 2000 steam
> year will be great.

I still think its R.I.P. to R766 as we know it today. It will be a different
loco when it returns. Although I like R711, it should be called R2 711 (<g!>)
because there are some very big differences between WCR's super R's and a normal
R.

Yuri and some of the others here, please don't reply to this bit if you are
going to say that this comment dilutes the strength of my arguments. I have said
all along that I like the WCR R's. All I was saying was that I think the second
WCR R should have been one of the stored R's, not one that was already running
and fairly close to its original VR condition.

> Any way I hope to see you on the next tour that is bought to you by SWRail
> and West Coast.

If its anything like Sunday's tour, I will be on it! What about a double headed
tour with R711 and R766 when its rebuilt. This could be a welcome back tour. :-)

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au