Re: Email to John Laws regarding comments this morning

In article <8382sq$q4c$1@news1.mpx.com.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:
> facetious@my-deja.com wrote in message

> >> I suspected
> >> something was wrong when the train started going up the Seven Hills
> >> flyover - this should surely have been an extremely rare movement
for
> >> an
> >> Interurban - why didn't the driver query the signal?  It then
should
> >> have
> >> been further obvious to an experienced Interurban driver that
> >> something must
> >> be wrong if the signal also indicates he is to proceed up the
Richmond
> >> branch - again why didn't he query it?

With the Blacktown resignalling, how did he know exactly what went
where?  He wasn't trained in the new signalling.

> >How do you know he didn't query the signal?  Were you actually in the
> >drivers cabin, or were you scanning all the radio frequencies?
>
> Possibly because the train may or may not have stopped. It is not that
far
> from the point of no return to the platform. If the driver was to
query the
> signal indications, with any hope of recovering his normal journey, he
would
> have had to stop the train at an appropriate location, to receive
advice
> from the signal box.
>
> >  I hear
> >the driver did query the signal and was told to keep coming.
>
> I have heard that too, from a friend who works at the box. Although
the
> information that I have is that the driver pulled up and queried too
late to
> divert him to the new platofrm 3, which would have enabled him to
continue
> west with a minimal amount of fuss.

Wrong.   While just about all drivers know that you can go through
Platform 3, making going over the flyover a non issue, very few actually
knew that that track had a blackban on it and could not take any trains.
 So, the driver may have been thinking that he could get back, when in
fact he couldn't DUE TO LACK OF TRAINING!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.