High speed cars and enthusiast tours (was: [NSW] 3801 Black No More)

John Dennis wrote:

> Unfortunately (and sadly too) I very rarely travel on a fan trip these
> days.  They need something special, and higher speed cars combined with
> a late night trip back to town would help too.

You don't want to ride in the high speed cars. Those South Australian K
cars aren't the most comfortable and enjoyable cars to ride in. I prefer
the wooden cars and an 80 km speed limit any day. What Steamrail needs is
to have a few more proper enthusiast tours instead of trying to combine
them with a tourist special. The ARHS run pure enthusiast tours and lately,
they seem to be more patronized than the Steamrail tours. Tours like the
Victoria Via Everywhere Mk I, VVE Mk II, The Farewell Western Broad Gauge
and the Wycheproof tour were some of the best of the '90s, they didn't have
high speed cars and they were proper enthusiast tours. More interesting
loco combinations might help as well. I would automatically book on a
mainline tour with J515 and one of the Steamrail K's (I have suggested this
to Steamrail about a month ago).

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: