Re: Elitechrome slide processing

Hi James,

the best thing you could try is,

Put a few rolls of film through the camera and take them to different
places for processing. (Just do it with 100 asa print film, for cost
reasons, try a few different one hour labs).

Out of interest where do you get yours processed? Who do they use to
process the slides?

I use Fuji Sensia II (either 100 or 200) and have found it a far superior
film to the Kodak Elitechrome, but that's personal preference. I get mine
processed via a place in Ivanhoe, who outsource it to a company in
Caulfield I believe. Price for me is the same, $15.95 for processing. I
have also experienced one long scratch from a couple of rolls. This has
only happened in the last two months. If the place you use, uses the same
company to develop the slides, the boxes will have changed colours from
black (about 3 months ago) to red, now back to yellow in the past few
weeks.

As far as film prices for the Fuji goes, i pay $8.95 per roll for
100asa/36exp at Camera House on Elizabeth Street, for the 200 asa / 36exp
its a bit more expensive, averaging around the $16-$17 mark. For the price
difference between the Fuji and Kodak though, I much prefer the Fuji still.

As far as the life of films goes, modern E6 films (i.e. Fuji Sensia, Kodak
Elitechrome, Ektachrome, etc) aparently last quite a lot longer than
previous films of similar type. Kodachrome is nice if you can put up with
things like two week turnarounds for processing, and the high risk that you
will never see it again, but most importantly, the hopeless colour
reproduction (Since when did freightcorp have a black livery?). My slides
will be digitally archived by the time they start fading (aparently, no
less than about 20-30 years if kept well).

Earlier Ektachrome films though, aren't so lucky. I remember one of my very
first gunzel shots, when I was 6 years old, with an instamatic camera I got
for my birthday. The photo was an R class locomotive, taken out the side
window of a Comeng. It was the first time I had ever seen a steam loco
other than Wheezing William (coff coff, Puffing Billy even). The photo (for
the record, taken in 1985 or 1986) has been kept under pathetic conditions,
and has slightly faded already.

Anyways, any Kodachromies out there, please feel free NOT to shoot me down
in flames.

Regards
Michael

James Brook said in message <3858E7B2.3AB83FA4@ozemail.com.au>, I therefore
quote:

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

What is the point of having quotes at the end of your .sig?