Re: Archer Park Station, Rockhampton

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:30:56 +1100, "Gail BENNETT" <valleyfm@mpx.com.au>
wrote:

>Does QR ever run passenger trains out to Yeppoon? If not, is that line used
>at all for freight?

The Yeppoon station has a couple of items of rolling stock, but is
otherwise deserted. I have walked some of the line back from Yeppoon, it
looks like it is maintained a bit, poison notices and what I thought
were recent bridge inspection marks.

I understand the pineapple trains ceased *about* 1992. They stopped
because they stopped growing pineapples, a soil useage/degradation
problem peculiar to pineapples.

The way Yeppoon is going, I guess there will be pressure to bulldoze the
station for yet another shopping centre or some other commercial
development.

The road from Yeppoon to R'ton is pretty good, I don't think the line
will ever reopen for general use.

Owen