Re: conditions as train operators

C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote in message
82emgc$iit$1@lios.apana.org.au">news:82emgc$iit$1@lios.apana.org.au...
> G'day Terry from a train driver in Sydney...
>
> In <38486def_3@news1.vip.uk.com> "minitel" <minitel@arsenalfc.net> writes:
>
> >HELLO
> >I AM  A TUBE DRIVER IN LONDON AND I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE
CONDITIONS
> >ARE FOR TRAIN OPERATORS (& GUARDS IN SYDNEY) IN MELBOURNE AND SYDNEY. OUR
> >CONDITIONS ARE
> >          £26 000 ($62 400) £18 000 GUARDS (PHASED OUT NEXT YEAR.
> >          35 HOUR WEEK  AND ABSOLUTELY NO OVER TIME
> >          7 WEEKS ANNUAL LEAVE
> >          SHIFTS NO LONGER THAN 8HR 15MIN
> >          NO LONGER THAN 4H 15MIN DRIVING WITHOUT A BREAK
>
> >I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD HELP ME, ALSO HOW DO YOU GET JOBS AS
> >OPERATORS AND HOW HAVE THINGS CHANGED IN THE LAST FEW YEARS.
>
> Thanks for the info. I've never actually looked at a comparison between
> metro train drivers/operators/whatever in other countries before...
>
> Anyway, I'm what's called a Driver Thereafter grade, which apart from
Driver
> [...]
>
> We have a variable ammount of overtime - normally not very much but
> sometimes we'll go for months and months with one extra shift every week
(12
> days a fortnight instead of the standard 10), and get phoned up and asked
> do more. Just depends on the staffing levels, etc. since there are a lot
of
> new drivers and guards schools running at the moment, so that means lots
> more people on leave, etc. as well as older staff retiring.
>
> We get 5 weeks annual leave plus whatever accrued public holidays we've
> worked during the year. After 10 years of service we receive 2.5 months of
> long service leave credit, which increases by about one day for every 15
> days of employment after that. I've been employed by State Rail (in
several
> different positions) for nearly 13 years now...
>
> Our maximum allowable shift length is 8 hours 33 minutes (except in
> emergencies), but we start getting paid overtime after 7 hours 36 minutes
> instead of the standard 8 hours because we don't get a mandatory rostered
> day off every 4 weeks like the office workers do.
>
> We have no limit on how long we can drive without a break, but our meal
> break (only 20 minutes long, but including the allowed 6 minutes walking
> time either side it becomes a minimum of 32 minutes) has to be provided
> between the 3rd and the 5th hour of our shift. One of the issues currently
> being pushed by State Rail management is to have this changed so crib can
be
> taken between the 3rd and the *6th* hour - It's easy to imagine how 5
hours
> non-stop (discounting tiny breaks when changing ends, etc.) on the one
> train leads to a serious fatigue problem...
>
> When the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority pushes the 'take a break every
two
> hours' maxim for road vehicle drivers, we still have the railway
management
> thinking we can drive a train continously for up to 5 hours without
needing
> a decent break.
>
> We (suburban electric train) drivers can drive up to 209 km's in a shift
> before we have to be paid 'mileage', so there are only a few shifts in
each
> depot's roster which run over 209 km's, normally no more than 215. I don't
> know if the intercity (electric intercity commuter and diesel railcar
train)
> drivers have a mileage limit or not...
>
> I hope this answers your questions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig.
>
> --
>             Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
>  Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail
transport
>    Professional Train Driver, Cityrail  |      and rail modelling web
http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd

Craig,

Thanks for answering the UK Driver so honestly, (not like some) I suggest
that at least one list member who answered him earlier should submit himself
for drug testing before he reports for duty next time, if thats not the
problem he needs some kind of help anyway.

Bob.