Re: Glenbrook Arse-ender

"pm" <pmelling@orac.net.au> wrote:

>Rumour....??

>As someone mentioned on another post, the train can't have been going too
>fast if the driver had time to hit brakes and get out and warn his
>passengers.

In most places and under Procedure 245 which probably covers this
situation, speed after passing a red is supposed to be such that
stopping distance is less than seeing distance- stopping distance
implicitly being calculated taking grade into account and seeing
distance taking curvature and obstructions into account.  A similar
rule applies on the rtoad system, I suppose.  Thus, if a collision
occurs under such circumstances, what can we say about the viability
of the rule or its observance?

Additionally, it has been said in posts here that Penrith gave
permission to the V-set to pass signal 41.6 at red, supposedly on the
basis of its failure.  True or not true?  Procedure 245 says
permission to pass a failed signal can be given if the track ahead is
known to be unoccupied.  What does this say about the state of
knowledge about where the IP was at this time, given that both the
signalkling system and the phone at signal 40.8 were not working
properly?

Geoff Lambert