Re: secret train tunnels !

Henry Paddon wrote:
[...]
>There is no siding between Martin place and the Domain Portal
>only a crossover.

As someone else pointed out, it is quite definately a siding and I'm
pretty sure it does indeed extend almost to the portal.  There was an
incident about two months ago when I gather the points became stuck after
a G-Set had been moved in there in preparation for becoming the 1618
Martin Place - Port Kembla service.  It normally has to wait up there
while a number of other services pass in both directions (I *think* it
passes through the Down platform at 1606), including the 1615 service to
Thirroul ex Bondi Junction.

It would seem that trains were still able to operate through the Up line,
but with no trains being able to proceed to Bondi Junction they would have
soon run out of trains.  If memory serves, I'd arrived on the train before
the Bondi Junction-Thirroul service and things were running again about 45
minutes later, about the length of time I had needed to be in the city
that day.

>The crossover at Bondi Junction is about 40 meters up the deed end tunnel
>Someone Else wrote:
>> bondi junction are meant to go quite a distance towards bondi beach. Where
>> is the line to switch trains to their correct track when they are returning
>> from bondi juction?

The crossover is near the station, but the lines do continue for some
distance.  My understanding is that they continue roughly 500 metres from
the station, ending roughly near the intersection of Bondi Road and
Council Street.  This is still about 2km from the beach area.  Keep in
mind that they were designed with an exstension to Charing Cross and
Randwick in mind, not the Beach.

I know that at the very least there are railway easements for two tunnels
in the area as I've dealt with properties within 100m of that intersection
that have these easements on the title and marked on the plans.

--
Robs the Sydney Wollongong Quokka
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~quokka/