Re: [VIC] headboards, nameplates and non authentic liveries. (was: [VIC] Steamrail headboard)

John Dennis wrote:

> Sounds like a modeller's approach.   Let's keep the locos rusty and
> grimy, because that's they way they are.  By your definition, locos
> taken off scrap lines wouldn't be touched.

Its not my definition. I think that "preserved" locos should be restored to VR
condition with only necessary and minimal alterations to the VR design to get them
back into service. Clearly headboards and strange paint jobs aren't neccessary.
The definition that they shouldn't be touched is the strictest definition of
preservation and I don't agree with that because we wouldn't have anything in
service. I have no problem with removing the asbestos, extending the bunkers or
any other minor modification required for them to run on the modern main line. I
do have a problem with non-authentic colour schemes, headboards and nameplates
because these are not required for modern operation and the VR never had them.

> I am thankful we still have steam running.  Not that fussed about the
> colours...

I'm also thankful that I can even see a steam loco running. I'm 18, so I obviously
never saw them in actual service!

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: