Re: [VIC] headboards, nameplates and non authentic liveries. (was: [VIC] Steamrail headboard)

Roy Wilke wrote:

> *sigh*
>
> Doesn't "preserved" means "keep safe, keep alive"?
> Now, if a locomotive is retained in corporeal (and usable,
> non-derelict) form after most of its bretheren have gone to Sims',
> then isn't it "preserved" no matter *what* it's paint scheme or *what*
> has been attached to or removed from it?
>
> James, I think you should lighten up a bit.

Roy, I think you are missing the point of "preservation". The oxford dictionary
states that "preserve" means to "maintain (a thing) in its existing state." So by the
strict definition of preservation, locomotives and rollingstock shouldn't even be
touched, they should be maintained exactly as they are. This is why your argument of
it doesn't matter how its altered, as long as it exists is even more off the track
than my argument that preservation should mean minimal operational alterations. Are
WCR's S class locomotives "preserved" simply because they are old and they haven't
been scrapped like some of the other members of the class? Are the FV and VLP A class
locomotives preserved B classes, simply because they used to be B classes and they
haven't been scrapped? If WCR restored S312 to VR or V/Line condition and maintained
it that way, then you could argue that it is "preserved". "Preserved" is a word that
is used way too loosely, as you have just demonstrated. If you follow what you say,
the word can be applied to just about any rail operator that uses old rolling stock
and motive power, no matter how they paint it and modify it.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au