Re: Strategic Reserve.

When: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:20:37 -0700. Where: misc.transport.rail.americas.
Who: "Roger L. Traviss" <rogertra@islandnet.com>. Why: who knows? What:

>> America is that part of the world which lies west of the Atlantic
>> Ocean and east of the Pacific ditto.
>
>"America" is a country, "North America" is where Canada, America, Mexico and the
>Caribbean Islands live.
>
>It really bugs me when people from Europe tell me and the 27 million other
>Canadians where we live.  If we say we live in "North America" then we are
>correct and everyone else is wrong.   Canadians do not like to be called
>"Americans".  To insist that we are is not only rude but insulting.
>
>It's not that we don't like "Americans" but we a "Canadians", not "Americans"
>and live in "North America".

If I were to put you together with a Nicaraguan and a Paraguayan, I could
not say that you were all North Americans, Central Americans, or South
Americans, but I could say that you were all Americans.

And from what I've heard, people from those other areas think the exact
opposite of the way you do. They resent that nobody considers them to be
Americans because they're not in the US.

Backing up several steps in this thread to the comments about Quebec, we
don't want it. We don't care if it stays with Canada or not, as long as it
doesn't try to become the 51st state. (OTOH, we would welcome the rest of
the provinces as states, but we're not going to actively do anything to
cause it to happen. (If it did, we might finally get a railroad to
Alaska.[1]))

[1] How many points do I get for restoring some rail content to the thread?

David Streeter
--
If replying by both newsgroup post and email, please say so
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8114