Re: Wheel Crowders - What are they?

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37CFC8BF.89E29FE4@ancc.com.au">news:37CFC8BF.89E29FE4@ancc.com.au...
> Brad McArthur wrote:
>
> > Recently while reading a description of a yard layout (in Newsrail I
think),
> > it mentioned the term 'wheel crowder'.  I have read this term a number
of
> > times without actually knowing what one is.  Can someone please supply a
> > definition or description, or even better, point to a picture of one on
the
> > net?
>
> It's used in conjunction with a derail. It replaces the conventional catch
point
> which was always regarded as a secure protection device for main lines as
it
> caused a runaway vehicle to actually derail. A derail block is not quite
so
> effective as a wheel can ride up and over the block and then back on the
rail.
> These are used on goods sidings in places in Vic but for some reason when
> catch point was to be replaced, a simple derail could not be installed.
Hence a
> wheel crowder.

I remember sitting at a station one day, waiting to send an ACRE, a train
was shunting in the yard.  Anyway, this train was being propelled, and for
whatever reason, the train was sent over a scotch block over the rail.
Carriages wobbled a bit, but didn't derail, and upon sleazing over, the
scotch block was in several thousand pieces.  Just goes to show how pathetic
scotch blocks are.  (Scotch blocks are just a mainly timber version of a
derail.)

> It's a simple device that pushes the flange of the wheel on the opposite
side to
> the derail towards the rail and thus ensuring that the wheel on the derail
block
> side actually derails.

> I now refer you to Chris Gordon or Notagunzel for a photo of a wheel
crowder to
> be posted on their web sites. Gentlemen it's up to you now.

I probably have a photo, but at least 6 months notice is required to find it
:o(

http://www.westsig.com.au/DEPT/Marketing/common/datasheets.nsf/32ba1646bb41c
e684a2566d0002d318e/ed93bccf0b1ddb854a25674100058193?OpenDocument

leads you to the datasheet from Westinghouse, including a picture & drawing.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.