Re: Wheel Crowders - What are they?

Brad McArthur wrote:

> Recently while reading a description of a yard layout (in Newsrail I think),
> it mentioned the term 'wheel crowder'.  I have read this term a number of
> times without actually knowing what one is.  Can someone please supply a
> definition or description, or even better, point to a picture of one on the
> net?

It's used in conjunction with a derail. It replaces the conventional catch point
which was always regarded as a secure protection device for main lines as it
caused a runaway vehicle to actually derail. A derail block is not quite so
effective as a wheel can ride up and over the block and then back on the rail.
These are used on goods sidings in places in Vic but for some reason when a
catch point was to be replaced, a simple derail could not be installed. Hence a
wheel crowder.

It's a simple device that pushes the flange of the wheel on the opposite side to
the derail towards the rail and thus ensuring that the wheel on the derail block
side actually derails.

I now refer you to Chris Gordon or Notagunzel for a photo of a wheel crowder to
be posted on their web sites. Gentlemen it's up to you now.

If you don't get one soon let me know and I'll email one to you.

David Langley.