Re: Bethungra Spiral

Garry Hoddinett wrote:

> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote
> > That would be a backward step. What do you do if/when traffic increases in
> the future?
>
> I would have thought that the traffic would have to increase by a hell of an
> amount to render a single track in this section inadequate.  If it increased
> by such an amount then the access bodies should be looking at a new line on
> a better and faster alignment.

On the other hand, more flexible pathing would allow traffic to increase.

> > And double tracking Junee - Albury and electrification of the entire
> > line was proposed in 1980. :)
>
> Yes but this wasn't done from the perspective of economic reality.  Non the
> less its a shame it wasn't done!

Especially since it would have been 25kV. It would certainly have never
recovered the capital cost (and I don't see why they have to if state
owned), but the operating benefit is undeniable. We could have had
4000hp electric locos hauling through freights and passenger trains by
the late 1980s. Comeng even went as far as designing an electric XP.

Cheers
David