Re: Bethungra Spiral

"Christopher J. Steele" <dck@cea.com.au> wrote:

>I have recently been in the area of the Bethungra spiral, but have a number
>of questions regarding its history:

The answers to many of these questions can be found in NSWGR's "Main
Southern Lines Maps" book, but that's an old publication and rare.
Below is what I dredged from my memory (I have the book, but not at
hand.)

>1.  On what date was the original railway at the site of the Bethungra
>spiral open?

It would have been in about 1871 - 1873 period.... the railway was
already at Albury by 1873 (?).

> Was the original railway in fact just a straight track and not
>a spiral at all?

Yes.  Well, a topologically simple track, it had lots of curves.

> Is this now the current 'down' track?

Yes

>2.  Why is it suggested in previous postings that the down track grade would
>be better off with its grade reduced to 1:66 from 1:40?

Don't know why those people said that.  Presumably to make the haulage
task easier.

>3.  On what date was the Bethungra spiral (the present 'up' track) opened?

15th July 1946 was supposed to be the introduction of double line,
including the spiral..

>4.  Was the Bethungra spiral part of the duplication of the railway north of
>Junee?

Yes, see Q3

>5.  Were the present small tunnels at the site of the Bethungra spiral all
>the tunnels at the site?

Yes