Re: Hillside Trains (Vic)

Gareth Lumsden <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
Pine.SOL.3.96.990902104319.4959E-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.990902104319.4959E-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...
> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Exnarc wrote:
>
> > > What ever the new livery is, I have been told it will still involve
> > > diagonal stripes on the front (some rubbish about visibility).  (Note
that
> > > Bayside trains stickered sets still have the stripes - just
repositioned
> > > between the headlights.
> >
> > Don't know about visibility being rubbish Gareth.
> >
> > Whilst I agree that the present stripes look terrible anything that can
> > contribute to a reduction in non suicide fatalities isn't rubbish.
> >
> > Even V/Line adopted those black cheveron to try to solve this problem,
(at
> > the insistence of the then AFULE whose members have to deal with the
> > trauma), I can't say if its worked or not because we don't know if
accidents
> > have been avoided because of them, but lets assume they have. (We can't
> > prove they haven't either).
> >
> > I think a few stipes on the front of a train (no matter how
un-photographic
> > they maybe) is far more acceptable than "BLOOD & GUTS".
> >
> > Bob.
>
> Bob,
>
> I see your point, but still fail to see what a few stripes would do to a
> suicider, car stuck on tracks, elderely citizen with a walking stick
> struggling across the tracks, etc..   A person on the tracks without
> knowing a train is coming probably shouldn't be on the tracks anyway.
>
> CityRail has now adopted the orange to the front of all their sparks,
> visibility being the key factor for this.
>
> I suppose you'r eright, I am sick of seeing the stripes, but they are here
> to stay.
>
> Gareth.

>               Nothing is so smiple is can't be screwed up.
>  Gareth Lumsden     s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au    glums112@yahoo.com
>  Gareth's Railway Web Page        http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278
Gareth,

Your right in many ways, however (I assume you are in Sydney?) Sydney is
(apart from the obvious)<g> different from Melbourne, Melbourne has many
more open level crossings (Booms) and pedestrian crossings than Sydney.

I agree it won't stop a nut trying to commit harri karri (can't spell in
Nip, or English for that matter), but you just don't know about the rest.

Someone else raised the question of headlights, that could also improve
visibility. The point is, the rail operators have a "Duty of Care", so if
they can come up with something more effective why not try it?

Bob.