Re: Hillside Trains (Vic)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Exnarc wrote:

> > What ever the new livery is, I have been told it will still involve
> > diagonal stripes on the front (some rubbish about visibility).  (Note that
> > Bayside trains stickered sets still have the stripes - just repositioned
> > between the headlights.
>
> Don't know about visibility being rubbish Gareth.
>
> Whilst I agree that the present stripes look terrible anything that can
> contribute to a reduction in non suicide fatalities isn't rubbish.
>
> Even V/Line adopted those black cheveron to try to solve this problem, (at
> the insistence of the then AFULE whose members have to deal with the
> trauma), I can't say if its worked or not because we don't know if accidents
> have been avoided because of them, but lets assume they have. (We can't
> prove they haven't either).
>
> I think a few stipes on the front of a train (no matter how un-photographic
> they maybe) is far more acceptable than "BLOOD & GUTS".
>
> Bob.

Bob,

I see your point, but still fail to see what a few stripes would do to a
suicider, car stuck on tracks, elderely citizen with a walking stick
struggling across the tracks, etc..   A person on the tracks without
knowing a train is coming probably shouldn't be on the tracks anyway.

CityRail has now adopted the orange to the front of all their sparks,
visibility being the key factor for this.

I suppose you'r eright, I am sick of seeing the stripes, but they are here
to stay.

Gareth.

              Nothing is so smiple is can't be screwed up.
 Gareth Lumsden     s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au    glums112@yahoo.com
 Gareth's Railway Web Page        http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278