Re: Re Strategic Reserve.

John Garrison wrote:

> <K.D.Balderson@lboro.ac.uk> wrote in message

> > In article <7qj637$f0o$1@ssauraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>,
> > Keith Willshaw <100572.2654@compuserve.com> wrote:

> for this type of situation? It would make sense to me.

> > >You also need all the Watering points. Steam trains need LOTS of
> > >water at frequent intervals.

> > >The coaling positions

> > >The Ash Pits

> > >No to mention the trained Crews and maintenance men

> >    Well, for fun I thought!. Would not water be more easily found than
> > diesel?,

	Steamers need LOTS of water.  Preferably, for serious use,
	clean, treated water.   Diesel can be stockpiled (as could
	water.)  Steam trips have got stranded, in peace time, because
	no one had enough water...

>> and coal, wood, camel dung - anything that burns?.

	Each burns differently.  For significant work, it must
	burn well, and well In That Lok.  (Loks are/were designed for
	specific fuels...)

> >    Assuming we are in desperation mode who cares where the ash is dumped?.
> > Untrained crews & maintenance men^H^H^H people! may well find a steam
> > engine easier to get going and keep going than a diesel

	Errrrr.  Same diesel (ok, not the same prime mover, but same
	technology) as in any diesel truck, or bus.  Same electics as in
	any power plant.  Unless all the mechanics and (plant) electic
	crews are gone, there is more trained & semitrained talent for
	a DE than for a steamer.  (In the US (last year?) a tourist line
	steamer blew up, under a trained crew.  Its REAL easy to kill
	oneself with a steam lok...)

> Water could be as scarce as combustibles. In eatern US we are in a deep
> drought and water has become a precious commodity. The deserts are
> perpetually so I would suppose.

	During WWII, in the US, early diesel freight loks were selectively
	assigned to the 'desert' (mostly) routes in the Southwest...

	best
	dave p