Re: Strategic Reserve.

Janos Ero wrote:

> dave pierson wrote:

> >         Yup.  But if the lines are heavily _electrified_, then any
> >         'problem' can take them down.  Self propelled motive power
> >         (steam, diesel, wotever) is better than electics under those
> >         circumstances, be the disaster manmade or natural...

> Dave you are surely right, but perhaps the electrified lines
> aren't AS vulnerable as often believed. On the Hungarian
> electrified line from Budapest towards Vienna the electric
> catenary was operational until the front arrived, despite
> of the heavy bombardements by the Allied Forces (actually
> the catenary was destroyed together with the rails), and
> the first electic hauled trains started as soon as
> September 1945.

	Wellllll.  I suspect that Hungary got rather less in the way
	of attention than some sites further West.  And an e lok is
	lost if the power plant is down, even if the catenary is
	intact.

	And....  these days, to discuss a current, if hypothetical,
	strategic reserve, there are a variety of weapons
	specifically adapted to diable power systems.  Interstingly,
	these date back to WWII...

	(As near as i can see, all groups posted two are ...rail...)

	best
	dave p