Re Strategic Reserve.

In article <7qj637$f0o$1@ssauraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>,
Keith Willshaw <100572.2654@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Martin Silsby <msilsby@tassie.net.au> wrote in message
>37CBFFFE.84B67C3E@tassie.net.au">news:37CBFFFE.84B67C3E@tassie.net.au...
>> Doesn't the NSW or Victorian railways have a few steam locos set aside for
>this
>> type of situation? It would make sense to me.
>
>Think about it
>
>You also need all the Watering points. Steam trains need LOTS of
>water at frequent intervals.
>
>The coaling positions
>
>The Ash Pits
>
>No to mention the trained Crews and maintenance men

   Well, for fun I thought!. Would not water be more easily found than
diesel?, and coal, wood, camel dung - anything that burns?.

   Assuming we are in desperation mode who cares where the ash is dumped?.
Untrained crews & maintenance men^H^H^H people! may well find a steam
engine easier to get going and keep going than a diesel (I'll assume
electric can be forgotten), depending of course on the relative
sophistication of the said devices.

--
Cheers, Keith.