Re: Strategic Reserve.

In misc.transport.rail.europe Janos Ero <erojr@spammail.cern.ch> wrote:

> Interesting. Some promoter of the MAV "Nostalgia" stock declared his
> opinion, that the cheapest way to correctly (!) preserve old
> locomotives is to operate them!

As far as I know, in most countries the time when a boiler is
due for overhaul is measured in years (not kilometres or
operating hours). So, if you want to keep a steam locomotive in
running condition, every eight (?) years you have to do a major
overhaul of the boiler, which is very expensive and labour-
intensive. These strict regulations exist for a good reason -
boiler explosions have been the cause of many accidents in the
19th century.

So if you keep a steam locomotive operational, sure it is good
for the locomotive, but it will also be expensive. Many
preserved steam locomotives have been taken out of service even
though they were still operational because they were due for
overhaul, and that would be too expensive.

--
tobias benjamin köhler   *    *  *   *  ,-/o"O`--.._   *  _/(_ *