Re: Strategic Reserve.

Rory Lushman <Oubliette@currantbun.com> wrote in message
news:37c92cfe.0@news1...
> I am currently looking into the case of the Strategic Reserve here
> in the UK. This is an alleged pool of locomotives stored away for
> future use. Many of the alleged stories involve steam locomotives
> being tucked away in secret.
>
> There are many stories - none confirmed - of missing engines. I
> have been investigating this for nearly two years now and no solid
> evidence has come to the surface. Although many people swear
> they have seen locomotives being taken into strange locations.
>
> Why steam locomotives......wait for it....many suggest that these
> locomotives would not be rendered useless by a nuclear blast. There
> are accounts of diesel locomotives going missing but these are many
> times fewer than their steam counterparts.

Given that Railway systems and signalling are themselves
vulnerable and that the Electro-magnetic systems on
Diesel Locos are Not that vulnerable to EMP this
sounds pretty odd to me.

I can believe that MOD has a whole load of Trucks stashed
around the country in addition to the Old Civil Defence
Green Goddess Fire engines. Thos old trucks have no fancy
electronics and would be far more use in an Emergency
Than Steam Trains without watering and coaling points
on a fragmented rail system

Keith