Re: Narrandera to Tocumwal

Gavin Potter wrote:

> Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
> mauried.419.37CC6528@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.419.37CC6528@commslab.gov.au...
> : In light of the recent threads on the possibility of reopeneing this
> line,does
> : anyone know the status of the Murrumbidgee River bridge at Narrandera?
> : Would this bridge have to be rebuilt?
> : Given that the line was only ever a light branch line ,was the bridge
> designed
> : with this in mind .
>
> The spans over the river had been removed and were laying on the ground
> beside the highway about 10 months ago when I was down that way, so I dare
> say a major rebuild would be required to get the line into Nerrandera.
> :
> : thanks
> : MD
> :

No decision has been made on the future of any part of the line. A consultant
is to be appointed to examine all the options.

WRT the bridge, the long timber viaducts are the real problem in that they are
in poor condition and will be difficult/expensive to repiar
Some spans of this viaduct have been removed to the south of the main steel
spans. These will have to be replaced at RTA cost if the line is reopened and
the bridge is required
--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net