Re: X47 out and about

Rod Gayford <rjaygee@smartchat.net.au> wrote in message
7qhmib$j80$1@merki.connect.com.au">news:7qhmib$j80$1@merki.connect.com.au...
> Yes. Why do we stuff up the perfectly functional designs the Yanks come up
> with on all their locomotives. They just look perfect. The NR is a case in
> question. Why couldn't the brutish looking USA cab be modified to fit the
> designs which have no collission space. If the US cab had been used on the
> NR's then maybe those poor guys who were killed at Robertson might have
> survived. What do others think?
>
> Cheers
> RJG

Its all to do with DOO.

The unions, refused to accept most of the present layouts for DOO, even the
G, BL, and 81's had to be modified. There was probably a couple of motives
behind this.

Improved visability, "180Deg" un-obstructed.

If management want to introduce new work practices, "make it too, costly too
deter them."

Improve your working enviroment when you have the chance.etc.etc.

As for the NR's, they look lousy, collision protection is questionable,
etc.etc.

However, they are the best locomotive cabs in Australia, the only thing they
lack is a microwave, everything else is there, (Fridge, temp control,
AM/FM/CD player) the list just goes on and on.

The end result: They look terrible, Most things grow on you after time, but
the NR's never will in my case.

As for the poor guys who were killed, if you saw the close up photos of NR3,
you would know that they wouldn't have survived, even if they had been in a
Sherman Tank, the whole front was pushed back to the CA4 cabinet, (back wall
of the external entrance doorway.

Bob.