Re: 3801 - IT'S BLACK ..... WHY????

I think I sense an urban railway myth here.

Certainly, 3801's 1986 overhaul involved a new welded inner firebox, as
nobody was going to roll plates to the original design.

There were endless discussions in 1983/86 as to how the refurbished 3801
would be managed, with senior SRA staff playing a key part.  As I recall it,
the 220psi boiler pressure was a bright idea from the then SRA Mechanical
Branch to prolong the boiler life, not a design limitation.  3642 ran with
reduced pressure for the same "reason".

Regards,

Bill

PS:  The loco looks terrific in the colours it carried for at least half of
its regular service life (i.e. 1943 - 1962).  Keep it like that!