Re: Public Perception of Trams

Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
37c4499d@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:37c4499d@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> Roderick Smith wrote:
> >
> Snip.........
> You are surely thinking of the same show. It was June 26 1967, and
> featured W5 774 running out of South Melbourne. I was only a small child
> at the time, but I remember it clearly and I don't recall it attracting
> cries of shame. A tram was chosen because trams were and are the symbol
> of Melbourne. Maybe Ron remembers a letter to the editor from some
> road-rager complaining.
>
> Even when I was a kid, there were heaps of postcards of Melbourne that
> specially featured trams, just as many postcards do now. That hardly
> suggests that trams were an embarrassment to the city.
>
> There are still people in Melbourne now who would get rid of the trams.
> Nothing has changed.

Now that you mention it, it probably was the Sydney media that poo-pooed the
thing. It would be interesting to compare the "Letters to the Editor" in the
SMH and the Age. Must do that sometime. (As if showing a smelly, noisy
diesel bus turning out of Waverley Depot would have been any more a sign of
Australia's modernity!!!)

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY