Re: Marinus makes headlines again

On 25 Aug 1999 16:25:02 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>OTOH, if these lines were truly viable why does this private operator need
>money from the govt. to open them? (I understand that the govt. will help pay
>for reopening costs)

See my other post -- Jeff promised to fix all flood damage in
Gippsland, ie the Avon River bridge.  Must try to find back issues of
"The Age" to confirm his exact quote.

>Is FV a stand alone private operation or is it just another operator tied to
>government $$$$$?

FV is a private operator which has leased infrastructure from the
Government for the next 15 years.  They receive no other subsidy from
the Gov save the $36 million to be spent on infrastructure (quoting
from the original press release)......

>"Freight Victoria will invest $36 million in the first two years to improve
>infrastructure, modernise or replace parts of V/Line Freight's locomotive
>fleet as well as upgrade the Geelong grain loop to include standard gauge."

As the State Gov is the landlord, they should help to maintain the
infrastructure they own.

Regards

Yuri
--