Re: Weekly Times story - 4 lines possible re-opening

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:47:40 +1000, "fg" <andrei@axs.com.au> wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>It stated that the Bairnsdale line had the greatest chance of success but
>would involve, "well in excess" of 1million to fix the bridge at Stratford.

IIRC, this bridge was damaged in the last two major floods that hit
Gippsland.

At the time, Herr Jeff promised that funding for *all* infrastructure
damaged by the floods would be made available  and all items would be
repaired.

Given a state election has been called, this sounds like perfect
timing for FV to request the Government honour its promises and fix
the bridge.

FV being a private company has probably got more chance of being
successful with its lobbying than VLF would ever have been.

Sic 'em, Marinus!

I have also been "reliably" informed that the sand train will return
by Christmas, apparently 10 or 15 years for the contract length is the
only sticking point at this time.  This would mean the line from
Cranbourne to Koala would be rehabilitated, leaving only Koala to
Nyora to be repaired (apparently there is a major heat buckle in the
track) before FV could run trains all the way to Leongatha.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos