Re: Oakleigh

Notagunzel wrote:

> For an NX panel, I really think pulling lists are not necessary for NX
> panels, especially where the buttons/icons are physically located adjacent
> to the relevent signals.  P.S. Oakleigh is a OCS, not NX, am I right?

Yes. So allied question: how many OCS panels are/were there in Victoria?
[Oakleigh, Camberwell, Flinders St D, West Tower have been previously
mentioned - any others?]

And how many NX panels?

Of course Victoria still persists with unit lever panels as its
apparently standard type even in the latest installations - I wonder
whether that will change in the Grand New Privatised World?

> Hmmm....haven't got the documentation on hand, but I think Oakleigh, (&
> Flinders St E) have a peculiar type of solid state/transistorised route sett
> ing equipment.  i.e., the pressing of the OCS button is read by the
> non-vital route setting equipment, and the equipment drives the vital relay
> interlocking to request the points, then the signal in turn.  Now, if this
> equipment fails, it may be that there might be some sort of 'graceful
> degredation' involved, where the points can be manually called, then the OCS
> button calls the Route Proving Relay (or whatever) directly.

It seems to be standard advice in NSW (for both OCS and NX panels) for
the signaller to try setting the points with the separate points levers
if the route will not set. However this advice is often supplemented by
"try moving the points to and fro", on the theory that this will
hopefully dislodge any obstructions.

Eddie