Re: 3801 - IT'S BLACK ..... WHY????

The loco looks absolutely great, I hope it is not too temporary - and as
Eddie Oliver points out it is entirely authentic - the last Melbourne
Limited south was hauled by 3801 in this livery for example, some time after
3830 had returned to green. Likewise the first of 3801's "last runs" was in
black.

If we were really talking UK preservation approaches, it would have emerged
filthy black and renumbered to masquerade as 3803 circa 1967-8!  (Or green
but as 3805, the first green streamilined 38.) Now there's an idea, how
about it Geoff? And can I put in a vote for grey after the next overhaul
while we are at it?