Re: Atomic Train

Derek Woodlands wrote:

> Anyone watching the above-named mini series?
>
> One point I'd like to make.  The train was a runaway, why didn't they simply
> shut the locomotives down on the uphill grade and use the 2 locos behind to
> brake it?

I sighed through all the train parts, mostly due to the wild inaccuracies and
gross incompetence of the railway employees.

The air hoses are designed so they don't blow apart like this one was supposed
to.  If there was a huge pressure build up, the hoses would burst.  I fail to
see how the hose got hot, as was suggested, nor can I see how the pressure would
have built up.

If the air hoses had broken, the brakes would have come on automatically.  That
is how the westinghouse brake system works.  With no air in the brake pipe, the
locomotive should not have been able to get any traction current.

If the throttle on the locomotive was to stick in full, why not simply turn the
gen-field off which would cut all traction current?

What was the retard in the chase locomotive thinking turning the radio off???

An appallingly un-believable movie, but good for a laugh in the first half.  The
second half was just crap.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au