Re: New Caves Express

David Martin wrote:

> Fanciful, yes.
> No hope of succeeding? Why not?
> Cityrail could do it, but expecting them to is, indeed, fanciful.

If CityRail were to do, it, they would put the Contura car on the back of a
regular service, but it would not work, as the majority of passengers on this
line would much prefer to sleep all the way rather than have breakfast.

> Private enterprise could do it, & possibly would if they thought they could
> make a profit. Could it run at a profit?

No.  If it could, someone would already be doing it.  Perhaps Geoff could tell
us how the Long Lunch train bookings are going?  This would give some
indication.

> A fancy tourist train connecting
> Australia's most popular tourist destination (Sydney) with our second most
> popular tourist destination (Blue Mountains)? I would have thought so,
> although I am no expert in such things.

I feel it would be cost prohibitive.  If you disagree, feel free to go ahead and
do it.  Rail Access fees are extreme and would make it very hard to succeed.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au