Re: Wangaratta freight terminal announced

Thommo wrote in message ...
>Today Friday 20.8. on A.B.C radio 97.7 Goulburn Murray CO FM an interview
>with Marinus Van Onselen announced that Freight Victoria will construct an
>intermodal container terminal at Wangaratta. It is anticipated to capture
>vast amounts of container traffic,predominantly  from the wine growing and
>particle board industries and various other regional industries within, he
>indicated up to 10,000 container movements per annum.highlighting the
>advantages of intermodal trains accessing the container ports against road.
>He did not specify the road contractor as it is still in the negotiation
>stages.
>
>regards
>
>Thommo

That's another rumour circulating around here, but we have heard nothing to
verify it.
Wangaratta Yard is not suitable, and as the New Timber Facility at Bowser is
due to use rail as well, we are tipping that the junction may in part be
reinstalled, to service both new Industries. Uncle Toby is not that far
away, and even without a rail connection at Springhurst, might be gathered
up by a Rail orientated Container Terminal here.
Wangarratta Community Leaders are aggressively working at developing and
expanding local businesses. Meetings have been held with Local Freight
Victoria
Management, as reported in Border Mail, but as yet no firm decisions have
been
seen up here.
Lets hope ABC Radio got it right!
Rod