Re: Radio Scanners

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:20:15 +1000, "Grahame Ferguson"
<grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>The Bearcats only drawback is that the battery pack can be hard to replace,
>so  my 200XLT is now hard wired in my car, with an external aerial on the
>roof, it works great!

I have a 200 XLT as well, and agree it's a gem.

The battery pack problem is not a problem if you're handy with a
soldering iron.  It's easy to make a new battery pack as it's just 4
AA NiCds with solder tags soldered in series.  I've replaced the
original pack with a 4-pack NiMH (solder tagged AAs in NiCd and NiMH
are available from Jaycar), and it seems to last for ever now.  You
can assemble a NiMH pack for about half of what DSE want for a
replacement NiCd pack ($22 vs $42.50).

The 200 XLT also uses, as Graham implied, 12V DC as its input voltage
so it's easy to make a cigarette lighter to DC plug lead and plug your
scanner into your cigarette lighter in your car, thus providing both
power and charging of your scanner.

The biggest problem I've had with the scanner is that the central pin
in the BNC connector on the antenna is a cast piece and snaps off
after some use (ie when switching from hand to in-car mode).

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Personal Web site at
http://www.railpage.org.au/steam4me
Recipient of Compuserve Web Gem Award
Go Bombers! --- on track for the '99 flag