Re: 82's Leading Patricks West- Question on 82 cl gear ratios & what

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>>I think that the NRC should have tried the Westrail 'Q' class- 4000hp,
>>radial bogies, D87BTR traction motors, a much better package.
>
>The Qs didnt exist at the time the NRs were ordered and fuel costs were of
>paramount importance to NRC as they had then to pay the fuel excise.
>Four stroke locos still win hands down in fuel efficiency over 2 strokes
and
>would have been a big deciding factor .
>As a rough example the EMD 16-710G3 series engine as used in the Qs and the
>SRA 90s pulls approx 1200 litres / hour in 8th notch compared with the
>GE7FDL-16 engine in the NR which uses only 860 litres / hour in 8th notch.
>Things are better now with the removal of the fuel excise.
>
>MD

Dear Maurie,
                        The figures you quote seem extremely weighted
towards the NRs, and if it were true no railway would go near an EMD engine.

 BUT, from what I could get off the US internet, the fuel consumption rates
are as such:
(NB: these are in US gallons)(SD70 nearly the same as a 90 class, and a
Dash9-40 nearly the same as an NR)

SD70  = 3.0 gallons/hour at idle,  191 gallons/hour at full load.

Dash 9-40C = 3.6 gallons/hour at idle, 2.5 at low idle and 190 gallons/hour
at full load.

Dash9-44CW = 3.6 gallons/hour at idle, 2.5 at low idle, and 210 gallons/hour
at full load.

The source given to me was Norfolk Southern form1014"Condensed List and
Description of Locomotives", page 131.

So it would appear that the fuel consumption rates are nearly the same.

So maybe the NRC should have looked to Clyde for a better locomotive.