Re: Atomic Train

Chris Stratton <stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au> wrote in message
7pabsi$68g17@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au">news:7pabsi$68g17@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au...
> Jennifer Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
> 37B8ADDE.4F8425BA@melbpc.org.au">news:37B8ADDE.4F8425BA@melbpc.org.au...
> >
> <snip>
> > I think that the best American action movie starring a train that I have
> seen
> > is "Money Train" and the best movie that I have ever seen starring a
train
> is
> > "End of the Line".

I thought "Money Train" was as bad as "Speed"! For instance, when the train
was ruuning away and threatening to crash into the train ahead, why didn't
they simply cut the traction supply?

> You may not remember "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". It was a rather good
> movie starring a New York? subway train and Walter Matthau.
> --
>From a technical accuracy point of view, this was the best train movie I've
seen. I couldn't fault it. They even thought of making a gizmo to keep the
deadman's handle down, so it looked as if someone was still driving the
train after the baddies jumped off. (It was set on the New York subway.
"Pelham 123" is the train departing Pelham station (northern terminus of one
north-south line) at 1.23 p.m.)

There was also a "runaway train" movie where a train coming back from a ski
resort lost braking due to ice in the brake pipe. They eventually stopped it
by sending a new, high-power loco out of  a siding after the runaway passed,
and having the loco catch and couple to the rear of the runaway. (Sort of
reverse "banking in the rear"!) Stopped it metres from the end of a dead-end
platform road with the inevitable crowd on the concourse beyond.