Re: Flinders St CBI

Notagunzel wrote:

> Over that weekend 28&29/08, the existing relay interlocking over the
> Jolimont Lines/PU lead/Platform 14 area will be replaced with the CBI/SSI.
> Most trains will work in/out via the loop, but for the football extra's on
> Saturday arvo, the spcl's will be worked direct to Flinders St thru the
> resignalling.  Because the signals wont be working, the intermediate autos
> will be bagged and trainstops tied down, (this is a NSW idea apparently),
> and the passage of trains regulated by flagmen.  Will be fun to watch :o)

I am pleasantly surprised that they are allowing the trains to run at
all, rather than making everyone go on buses or trams.

Yes, it is NSW practice to suppress the train stops at non-functional
signals (subject to all due process, of course) and to provide
flagpersons who are supposed to take instructions from the signaller and
to "confer and come to a clear understanding to ensure that safe and
proper arrangements are made" (another lovely NSW expression, presumably
guaranteed to discourage people from coming to unclear understandings to
ensure that unsafe and improper arrangements are made).

> Is it safe?  'spose it depends on who you use as flagmen?

Depends on the quality of flagpersons and on their communication
processes, and on the extent to which the drivers understand what is
going on.

Typically these processes work well for short periods; but as soon as
the time lengthens, tiredness and lack of supervision set in (a sort of
familiarity-breeds-contempt syndrome), and that's when the problems
start. For the duration of the football specials, it's probably OK.

Eddie