Re: 82's Leading Patricks West- Question on 82 cl gear ratios & what

In article <37B9F1E8.46CE8411@MYlisp.com.au> John MacCallum <johnmac@MYlisp.com.au> writes:
>From: John MacCallum <johnmac@MYlisp.com.au>
>Subject: Re: 82's Leading Patricks West- Question on 82 cl gear ratios & what
>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:36:56 GMT

>> John, for my information and of others, what is the gear ratio of the 82 and
>> 90 classes, their maximum speed,  their maximum continuous rating, and their
>> maximum rating.
>> If I am not mistaken, I think they both have the D87BTR traction motors, and
>> AR11 alternators as does the DL class?
>The 82's do indeed have the same Traction motors and Main Alternator as
>90's. I don't have a 90 class book so I can't quote
>the gear ration for them but the 82 class gear ratio is 69:18.
>Clyde quote the Maximum speed as 121 kph. Of course Freightcorp
>and RSA have a 115 kph on them. I also just found that their
>minimum rated speed is 15.4 Kph.

>I can't comment on the DL's I did have a look at one when they
>were new and they came to Lithgow for fuelling. I quite liked
>what I saw. The El's on the other hand I didn't like a whole lot
>and a driver at Lithgow that trailed a El on the Mountains
>told me that they where no good on the heavy grades.

>John MacCallum

The ELs arnt in anyway designed for pulling heavy freights up steep grades.
AN bought then initially for pulling lightweight freights at speed across the
TAR which they did very well.
They were the only locos that were allowed 135 km/h across the plain.
The limiting factor is their very small highly geared traction motors.
I read somewhere that Chicaco Car Leasing were looking at re gearing them for
freight work.
Overall though,they arnt a bad loco,basically a cut down version of an NR.
I still think that NRC would have done better to buy EL type locos ,(ie a
freight version at 3000 HP) rather than going for 4000 HP locos.

MD