Re: Tunnels - North Sydney Brick & Tile Company Tunnel

I went in search of this tunnel on the weekend and it is still in existance. The
western end is now located on the premises of a rock recycling centre and the
eastern end portal is found at the bottom of an embankment next to a large
commerical building on the other side.

The tunnel passes under Reserve road at a 45 degree angle and linked the
company's No1 & No2 yards. Locomotives were not permitted to enter the company's
yards and all shunting on site was done by horses! The height of the tunnel also
would have prevented loco's to go through.

I think the rock recycling centre is using it to store equipment. I couldn't see
through it, so it must be blocked off some where in the middle.

You can visit the eastern end portal - access is via a car park roof, next to
the Reserve Road, then down a flight of stairs to ground level.