Re: Guards signals to drivers

In <7oul5t$t25$1@otis.netspace.net.au> "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> writes:

>Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
>7ouc85$6vg$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7ouc85$6vg$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
>>     Could someone please give me a brief rundown on what the number of
>> "bell" signals sent from the guard to driver's compartment means...I know
>> that one ring means "stop" or "go" (get out of here) and four is sort of
>> "pause at this stop" (or something to that extent)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>I assume you are refering to Sydney?

>When Melbourne had guards the bell codes were, (infact still are).

Sydney bell codes are similar, however ours are broken up into combinations
of long and short bell presses, which seems to confuse the hell out of
everyone who's new to the job.

>1 = Call attention.

This means proceeed. 1 long bell.

>2 = Proceed (Foreward).

This means stop.

>3 = Set Back (Back up).

Or emergency stop.

>4 = Driver Calling the Guards to the front of Train.

Same with us. But it's defined as 4 long bells.

>5 or more bells = Emergency Stop.

I guess that's kind of unversal!

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport