Re: Guards signals to drivers

Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
7ouc85$6vg$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7ouc85$6vg$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
>     Could someone please give me a brief rundown on what the number of
> "bell" signals sent from the guard to driver's compartment means...I know
> that one ring means "stop" or "go" (get out of here) and four is sort of
> "pause at this stop" (or something to that extent)
>
> Thanks.

I assume you are refering to Sydney?

When Melbourne had guards the bell codes were, (infact still are).

1 = Call attention.

2 = Proceed (Foreward).

3 = Set Back (Back up).

4 = Driver Calling the Guards to the front of Train.

5 or more bells = Emergency Stop.

These bell codes actually were the same as the Whistle Codes ie:

Two or more engines coupled, 2 Short Whistles to move forewards,
3 short to move back.
4 Long whistles to recall guard (when protecting train) or call him to front
of train.

Bob.