Re: age articles

Jackson Harding wrote:

> John Cleverdon wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Well, I've been collecting locomotive numbers since I was 13, and have now seen
> > around 1260 (from around the country).
> > Although this may seem very gunzellish :-), it eventually led to Locopage, which
> > has been quite successful.
> >
> > Incidentally, am I the only "locospotter" in Australia, or are there others as
> > well?
> > Interesting to see that trainspotting seems to be most common in the UK - that's
> > where most eccentrics apparently live.
> >
> >John,
>         you are far from being alone.  Many of us are "loco spotters", I have
> decided to start recording numbers in an Acess database, after many years of ad hoc
> recording.  In the UK though trainspotting is for some quite an obsession, you'll
> see them standing on platforms in the middle of nowhere (if they still exist)
> wearing the near compulsory anorak.
>
> Cheers,
>             Jackson

Hmmm, I have also put all my locomotive information in an Access database, and am now
at the stage where I am wondering if I could put it up for sale to anyone interested (a
possible nice little way of earning money on the side).
What would the market be like for a very comprehensive database of the Australian
(diesel and electric) lcomotive fleets?

I have been out to West Footscray (Melbourne) a few times, as it is a good place to
watch the standard gauge. I have also made several visits to the Melbourne Freight
Terminal (and also South Dynon).
I *don't * wear an anorak though :-) [although I have been out to MFT a few times after
work, wearing suit & tie, and carrying a briefcase. I did the same prior to my
graduation ceremony, also trying not to get too wet or muddy in the rain 8-) ]

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Land Titles Automation Project - Beveridge & Williams, Melbourne