Re: age articles

John Cleverdon wrote:

> Thommo wrote:
>
> > Todays sunday Age 1.8.99 had an interesting but brief article in Escape 4
> > under heading Teen Odyssey Peter Hanlon meets possibly the world's youngest
> > and weirdest trainspotter.  I had a brief chuckle to myself reading  about a
> > young English lad riding the system taking notes and recording numbers much
> > to the bemusement of the author.
>
> Well, I've been collecting locomotive numbers since I was 13, and have now seen
> around 1260 (from around the country).
> Although this may seem very gunzellish :-), it eventually led to Locopage, which
> has been quite successful.
>
> Incidentally, am I the only "locospotter" in Australia, or are there others as
> well?
> Interesting to see that trainspotting seems to be most common in the UK - that's
> where most eccentrics apparently live.
>
> John
> --
> John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
> Land Titles Automation Project - Beveridge & Williams, Melbourne
> Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Bombers - 1999 AFL Premiers
> E-mail:  johnc@cdi.com.au | Phone: 03 5987 1535 (H) | Dromana, Victoria
> The Locomotive Page: http://www.railpage.org.au/loco
> Astronomical Society of Frankston: http://www.cdi.com.au/~johnc/asf.htm
> Railway Map of Victoria: http://www.cdi.com.au/~johnc/railmap.htm

John,
        you are far from being alone.  Many of us are "loco spotters", I have
decided to start recording numbers in an Acess database, after many years of ad hoc
recording.  In the UK though trainspotting is for some quite an obsession, you'll
see them standing on platforms in the middle of nowhere (if they still exist)
wearing the near compulsory anorak.

Cheers,
            Jackson