Re: Uncle Sam carriage (Sydney): Question

The car you're referring to was Tulloch trailer T.4631, which was part of
prototype power-door set F.39. The car carried its ghastly red, white &
blue advertisement between January and July 1975, when the car was taken
off the set and repainted to (then) standard blue & white livery.

The advertisement was for "Uncle Sam's Miracle Herbal Hair Shampoo". To
reinforce the fact that the '70's were the "decade that taste forgot",
the interior was also redone in the ad, which looked as ghastly as the
outside of the car. A photo of the interior of this car featured in one
of Rick Merchant's "Railway Album" (Volume 3, I think)

"trendy rechauffé" <trendy_rechauffe@start.com.au> wrote:
>Does anyone have any info or a picture of the Uncle Sam carriage that ran during the late seventies? It was part of an advertising campaign for the Uncle Same brand of shampoos and other Uncle Sam products. (I can no longer recall what they were).
>
>It was a single decker, I think it was a trailer. It was just marshalled
>with the regular stock. (This is from memory as I was quite young then and unfortunately did not think about keeping records of these variations).
>
>Does anyone remember the adds for a bank that were stuck below the windows
>on a number of carriages? Was it St. George building society?

Yes - The ads were for St George Building Society ca.1975/76. The tuscan
red cars carried two types of stick-on posters - one saying "Join The
Great Society", the other bearing the St George name, and all featuring
the original "happy dragon". Cars known to carry these ads incl T.4572,
4630, 4634 and 4782. When the contact expired and the ads were peeled
off, these cars ran around for weeks with ugly black marks below the
windows.

Roy H