Old railway allignment now a road?

In years gone by I travelled the Harden/Yass road many times, but not
for quite a while now.

Travelling east from Binalong to Bowning (as I recall it) the road
bridge crosses the railway at Illalong Creek. There then appears to be
old railway embankment on the right side of the road. The road then
appears to run along the old alignment through a series of cuttings
and thence onto a high embankment. At the end of the high embankment
the road swings to the right and the rail alignment appears to go
virtually straight ahead.

I have 2 questions which used to occur to me almost each time I
travelled the road:

1. When was the railway re-aligned to its present alignment?

2. At the Illalong Creek end of the old alignment I have never been
able to work out where the railway went next and/or how it rejoined
the present alignment.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Regards,

Stephen