Re: New CityRail rolling stock

Garry Hoddinett wrote:

> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote
> > The problem is the limited capacity of tilt trains compared with V sets.
> Nobody has developed a double deck tilt train..... yet! Watch this space.
>
> Why would we have to have a double deck tilt train?  A genuine intercity
> service with set down say at Morriset , Broadmeadow and Newcastle running at
> an hourly frequency would not need anywhere near the capacity of 6 or 8 DD
> V-set.  I would have thought a tilt train with 300 passenger capacity would
> be sufficient.

I doubt we'll see genuine Newcastle express trains running again. A limited
express would also need stops at Gosford and Wyong to be popular.

The advantage of high capacity tilt trains is you can run them on all
services on all electrified lines. The V sets will need to be replaced
eventually, so you might as well go for the highest capacity with the
shortest possible running time.

Cheers
David